Join the FBC Heart & Soles Team!
Suggested dates: May 15–31
For many of us, and for most of the families served by Family Promise, the economic hardships associated with COVID-19 have been staggering. Loss of income and reduced work hours or complete loss of employment are common. All of a sudden, a house isn’t just a place to relax at the end of a day. It’s now an office, classroom and safety from a dangerous, yet invisible, public health crisis.
Families who were already struggling are now flailing to survive. Those who were stably housed now find themselves in a precarious place.
Family Promise of Lawrence’s commitment to these families hasn’t wavered. In 2020, they served 395 unique, non-duplicated families. That’s 1,327 people—804 of them children.
This level of need won’t ebb anytime soon. In light of that, something that’s helpful and fun like the 5K becomes more than just helpful and fun, it becomes essential. Like never before, this fundraising is needed for FPL’s programming and expenses, and to help them serve even more families in need.
And the 2021 Family Promise of Lawrence Virtual 5K Home Run will support that work! While it’s still virtual this year, everything’s virtually the same—you can walk, run, skip, skip, bike, skateboard, dance in your living room…you get the idea! Read on for details on two ways to support the effort!
Two ways to participate!
Option 1: Move your body!
The 5K Home “Run” isn’t just for runners. Do your 5K (or more!) however you’d like: Walk, run, skip, bike, skateboard, dance in your living room…you get the idea!
How to sign up
Read the instructions below, then click the “Sign me up!” button. Be ready with your:
- Contact info
- T-shirt size
- Credit card info (cost is $20 per team member if you sign up with FBC’s team)
- Heads up—be sure to sign the waiver
- To the right of “Team Age group/open,” click the “+” to show “1” (must register one person at a time; also note that the $5 discount is applied at checkout). Then click “Continue.”
- If on mobile device, select “Full Registration.” (Skip to step 3 if on a computer.)
- Type in your email address; click “Next”
- Create an active.com account following the bulleted steps below. If you already have an active.com account, skip to step 5.
- Type in your info (name, date of birth, address, etc); click “Next” (not “Continue”)
- Skip to step 6.
- If you already have an active.com account associated with the email address you provided in step 3, type in your password and click “Sign In.”
- Click to select who to register (Myself, Other Adult 18+, or Minor (Under 18), uncheck the two “sign up for free newsletters” boxes (unless you want more email!), type in your emergency contact name and phone, then scroll down to find:
- IMPORTANT: Under “Do you want to join or create a team?” select “JOIN A TEAM,” which opens a list of teams to select from. Select “FBC Heart & Soles (Wheeler)”
- Scroll down; under “Donation,” select “yes” if you want to give an additional donation on top of your registration fee, or “no” if you don’t. (You can always donate more later if you want; see Option 2 below!)
- Scroll down; under “How I would like to receive my shirt,” select your preference by clicking the “+” next to the option.
- Scroll down; under “Family and friends packet pickup,” select “No.” (Each FBC participant will pick up their own packet, and possibly their shirt.) Click “Next” or scroll on down past the magazine offers and click the drop-down arrow at right to find:
- IMPORTANT: Under “Waivers and Agreements,” click the blue links to read “Active Agreement and Waiver” and “5K Home Run 2021 Waiver.” If you agree (and you’ll have to in order to sign up this way), check the boxes and type your name in the Electronic Signature box, then click “Continue.”
- The total should show $20 + 3.25 processing fee. If for some reason it shows $25, type in the discount code FIRSTBAPTIST (but we didn’t have to in our test run).
- Scroll down; select “yes” or “no” for whether you want the the active.com Active Refund option for an extra $5 (kind of like insurance if you end up needing to cancel and want your registration fee back).
- Scroll down; enter your credit card details for payment ($20 + 3.25 processing fee).
- Scroll down; double-check your billing info, then click “Complete.” You’re done! (The next screen is an active.com site promo. You can select “No thanks” at the bottom. The next screen should say “Thank you! Your transaction is complete.”)
Option 2: Can’t do the 5K run/walk/boogie? Give a donation instead! (Or, participate AND donate!)
FBC has committed to a $500 minimum donation goal. Any amount you can give is appreciated!
You can give:
- through FBC’s online giving page (choose “Give to FAMILY PROMISE” from the top drop-down menu), or
- by check. Please write “Family Promise 5K Home Run” in the memo line, and mail it to FBC.
- If you’d like to give directly to Family Promise of Lawrence, donate on FBC’s GiveGab page set up by Family Promise for this purpose.