Upcoming Collection Dates
Got some old paint, chemicals, etc. around your house or in your garage that you wish would just disappear? FBC’s Earthworks Team Green will be glad to take it off your hands!
Team Green is doing hazardous waste pickups, usually on the second Tuesdays each month (but, sometimes not on Tuesdays…depending on volunteer availability. Sometimes it may be Wednesday or Thursday.) See the “Upcoming Collection Dates” section above for the next pickup date!
Here’s how it works:
- Schedule your pickup no later than the day before the pickup date. (In other words, if the pickup date is a Tuesday, sign up by Monday.) Sign up by clicking the button below and completing the form, or by contacting Marylee Southard or the FBC office.
- Put your hazardous waste items outside your house for pickup (on your front porch, in your driveway, or another accessible location) by 9:30 a.m. on the pickup date.
What we take:
You can also view the complete list of materials on the City of Lawrence website that the Household Hazardous Waste facility will and will not accept. But in general:
- If you have liquids that you should not pour down your sink (paint, oil, gasoline, cleaning compounds, more than a cup of water-based cleaner like used vinegar, cough syrup, etc.), we take them.
- If you have solids that living things should not consume (fertilizers, pesticides, printer cartridges, batteries), we take them.
- If you have spray cans with stuff in them, we take them.
- Update: Medications are no longer accepted. (The Accepted Items PDF linked at the button above still lists it and will be updated soon.) Medications should be taken to the District Court Building at 111 E. 11th St. Sharps should be taped up securely in a hard-sided container and put into the trash.
A few more guidelines:
- No amount is too small! They don’t want us to show up with more than 75 pounds per load, but we have 2 drops reserved, just to make sure.
- They need labels on containers—no mystery substances!
- You don’t have to be home at pick-up time. We can get your stuff from your porch, driveway, etc.
- If you have batteries out for us to collect (e.g. 9 volt, AA, A, watch or hearing aid types), we will leave you a new battery collection bag.